Neebo.com Makes it Easier for College Students to Afford Pizza, Concerts
College Merchandise Website Launches with Discounts, Money-Saving Tips, and "Freebos"
Giving Away Approximately $6 Million in Free Book Rentals This Month
Monday, January 10, 2011
Neebo, a nationwide network of college bookstores, today announced plans to give away 100,000 textbook rentals, worth an estimated $6 million. The giveaway celebrates the launch of Neebo's new website, www.neebo.com, which provides students with everything needed to enjoy the best possible college experience and get more college for their money.
Neebo.com will offer the most complete selection of new, used, and rental textbooks for college students, as well as college gear and other college-branded accessories. Students, parents and college alumni can conveniently purchase textbooks, sweatshirts, caps and other collegiate merchandise from their favorite schools across the country. Students will also find the largest selection of used textbooks available at Neebo.com; buying a used textbook saves 25 percent off the price of buying the same book new. Renting books can save even more - as much as 55 percent - leaving students with more money to spend outside the classroom.
"College students spend an average of $700 a year on textbooks, and Neebo can cut those costs significantly," said Steve Clemente, Senior Vice President of Neebo. "Because one of our main goals is to help students save, we are opting to put our marketing dollars toward giving students a break rather than buying ads. The site will regularly offer giveaways through our Neebos Freebos initiative - beginning with free textbook rentals this month."
Starting today, students can go to Neebo.com's textbook rental giveaway microsite, select the book they wish to rent, "like" the Neebo Facebook page (www.facebook.com/neebo) and receive their one free rental. The student will pay only a small fee for shipping. In addition, once the free rental transaction is completed, the student will have the option of going to Neebo.com to order all of his or her textbooks at a 10 percent discount. The promotion will run through the end of the month or until the free rentals are gone.
With some textbooks costing upwards of $300 each, students who get a free rental could save some good change for their pockets.
What to Do With the Money Neebo Saves You This Semester
No doubt, college students can quickly put their savings to use. But to help inspire fun outside the classroom, Neebo offers the following 10 ideas for how students who sign up for the free book rental can spend the money they saved from a free textbook rental.
- Pizza for 10 of your friends
- A concert ticket
- Laundry tokens for the entire semester
- Half a season's worth of student football tickets
- A nice dinner date with the girl from Psych class
- A tank of gas to go home and visit mom
- iPod shuffle and a $15 iTunes gift card
- A new backpack and/or sweatshirt from your local Neebo bookstore!
- A one-way plane ticket for Spring Break
- Just put it in the bank!
Tips to Help You Save Even More
Throughout the school year, Neebo will regularly send free merchandise and offers - called Neebos Freebos - to students in the company's Facebook community. The company also will offer advice on other ways students can save money.
"Every college student appreciates free stuff, but we also want to be sure students don't miss out on other ways to save cash," Clemente said. "We've considered the complete college experience and put together 10 ideas that will help students get more college for their money."
Neebo's Ten Money Saving Tips for College Students
- Rent your textbooks. Students can save up to 55% by renting their textbooks from Neebo.com and won't have to waste time in a crowded bookstore. And don't forget to reserve your free book!
- Attend Happy Hours. Students can sometimes save up to 50 percent off the cost of food and drinks during set hours at restaurants or bars.
- Flash your Student I.D. Many stores, restaurants and services such as health memberships offer students a discount when they show their student ID.
- Enjoy activities on campus. Not only can students meet new people but many of these activities/meetings offer free food to those attending.
- Ride your bike or take public transportation to class. Gas and parking can really add up!
- Bring a snack or drink to class. Vending machines and on-campus convenience stores can charge more than shopping at the local grocery store.
- Make it to the matinee showings. Many movie theaters and playhouses offer matinee tickets at a discounted rates - and special rates for students!
- Skip the off-campus gym and try using the on-campus facilities. Sometimes non-school affiliated gyms can cost up to $75 a month.
For more information, visit www.Neebo.com.
Neebo is a nationwide network of college bookstores providing students, faculty and alumni the most complete selection of new, used, and rental textbooks, as well as college-branded gear and accessories. We're the complete college outfitter, dedicated to empowering your best college experience. Neebo unifies all Nebraska Book Company bookstores under one network and one name to help students enjoy more college for their money. Founded nearly 100 years ago with a bookstore near the University of Nebraska Lincoln campus, Neebo pioneered used textbook distribution and expanded to campuses nationwide. The Neebo network now includes more than 280 stores and serves millions of students.
Nebraska Book Company